I have a bit of a new obsession. I’ve known about it for awhile, have enjoyed it in green tea and the occasional Green Teaser smoothie from Nine Fruits in Franklin, TN – but recently my friend and mentor, Suzanne Bowen, creator of the amazing BarreAmped Method (more on that in another post!) got me hooked on pure matcha green tea powder. Not only does it taste great (with a little bit of organic stevia – otherwise it tastes a little too vegetal for me!), but it is incredibly good for you too.
You’re probably thinking – what the heck is matcha? Well, it is a finely milled green tea – so fine, it’s a powder. Where you would normally just ingest the water from green tea, with matcha you are actually ingesting the entire leaf. There are several different ways you can prepare matcha, but the way I’ve been drinking it goes a little something like this:
I purchased my matcha from Teavana – they sell it in 40 gram or 80 gram canisters – and let me tell you, this is one expensive habit! I also bought their Kierros Glass Matcha Bowl and Perfectea Bamboo Matcha Whisk. The directions say to use 1 teaspoon of matcha per 8 oz of water (or almond or coconut milk!).
- Put your scoop of matcha in your matcha bowl
- Add your liquid (water, coconut milk, almond milk)
- Using your whisk, briskly whisk the tea and liquid together. Begin to slowly dissolve the matcha, and then continue whisking back and forth quickly in the middle of the bowl. Once a light foam has formed, gently lift the whisk from the center of the bowl.
Since I’ve been craving matcha all day everyday, and if I were to make a new 8 oz cup of it several times a day, I’d be spending more in one day on matcha than I do in an entire month at Starbucks! I’ve had to get a little bit creative to support my habit. I pour my 8 oz of matcha that I’ve whisked up into my 32 oz stainless steel canister (no plastic!), put a teaspoon of stevia in and add enough water to fill up my canister, stir it and I’m good to go! It’s a little watered down, but it makes it really easy to drink a lot of water throughout the day, and it satisfies my sweet tooth.
In case you didn’t already know how GREAT green tea is for you, here are some bonus benefits of drinking matcha:
- In terms of its nutritional value and antioxidant content, a single glass of matcha is equivalent of 10 glasses of green tea.
- It’s a cancer fighter
- Great for boosting your metabolism and burning fat (and let’s be honest, who couldn’t use that especially right after the holidays!)
- Boosts energy – and not in that jittery way that caffeine does. I’ve noticed that since I’ve started drinking it throughout the day that I’m not hitting that 3pm wall where I want to crawl into bed and take a nap. I have steady energy throughout the day
While trying to expand my matcha knowledge, I stumbled upon this website – Matcha Source, which has a ton of great information about the benefits of matcha and all sorts of fun ways to prepare and use it. I also noticed some yummy recipes with matcha as an ingredient – I can’t wait to try the matcha tea shortbread cookie recipe!